A cross-shaped planting of apothecary’s roses is bordered by yew and beech hedges. Vegetables and cut flowers grow in beds between the roses which were originally donated by the late Bishop Ian Harland.
Rosa gallica var. officinalis is one of the oldest cultivated roses which was grown for centuries in European gardens for medicinal and perfumery purposes. It was first recorded in a poem written in 1260.
The centrepiece in the apothecary’s garden is a small raised bed containing Rose ‘Cardinal de Richelieu’ which has velvety, mauve blooms that become dark purple as they age.
The apothecary’s garden is sunny and sheltered. Rose beds are highlighted by a backdrop of closely-cut grass paths, surrounding lushness, and all of summer’s shades of green.