Occupying the site of a previously existing building, the Dovecote sits alone on a distinctive mound not far from the boundary wall of the stew pond.
It was built by Bishop Thomas Smith and bears the inscription of 1700 on the door lintel which denotes the year of its construction.
Space was originally provided for 700 birds which would have provided 18th century Rose Castle with eggs and meat.
A pair of barn owls now occupies the dovecote and all chicks are recorded and ringed by a local owl expert. It is hoped that the dovecot will eventually be incorporated into the garden.