This walled enclave is small, sunny and sheltered, and set on the site where centuries-old Pettinger’s Tower once stood. There is a clear view across the garden to Carrock Fell beyond.
Arched doorways lead into the garden from both the castle courtyard and the Bishop’s lawn. Inside, around the perimeter, there are ancient, red sandstone slabs surrounding a small lawn.
Wisteria sinensis, planted in the 1950s by Bishop Thomas Bloomer’s wife, Marjorie, covers the east-facing wall of this garden.
There is an inscription in a stone above the door that leads from castle to the garden. It reads 1955 TB, which denotes the year in which Bishop Thomas Bloomer moved into the castle.