The stew pond area is surrounded by an old perimeter wall. Rounded stones brought up from the nearby Caldew river and blocks of quarried sandstone are enhanced by a top layer of coping stones and a decorative rose-shaped feature.
There is an engraved stone set into the bank above the stew pond. It reads ‘Hec, a true friend, 1911’. We assume He was a much-loved dog belonging to the bishop of that era. Presumably this is not the grave of a long-departed gardener!
A flight of mossy sandstone steps leads down into the stew pond. Did gardeners of previous centuries walk down these steps to the water’s edge to catch the fish then carry them in a basket to the castle kitchens?